Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Toilet

I know this is totally gross. Which is why I will only do it when it's just me at home. I'm going to flush less.

I've always though this was something only weirdo crunchy types did. So I guess I'm turning into a weirdo crunchy type. But it's hard to argue with 1.6 gallons of water per flush. That's $.38/flush each day (can that possibly be right? maybe I'm reading this wrong). And, to be honest, I do a lot of toilet-flushing that isn't... elimination-related. Things like kleenex and whatnot go down, too. So let's say I flush ten times a day now. Just halving that means $1.92/day (no, seriously; is that right?).

Update: Hah! I knew this was all wrong. It's $1.87 per one hundred cubic feet. Idiot. I guess this just means a lot more water conservation, right. I will have to think a little harder, though, and I'm a little fried at the moment.

3 comments:

  1. I do the same thing, I must confess. It started when I had the baby in my room and I didn't want the sound from the master bath to wake her up. But really, it's not unreasonable. Just don't teach 1.0 that, yet (kids not so good at telling when a flush is truly required) and keep in mind that you may need to wash the toilet slightly more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done it at night so I wouldn't bother someone who was sleeping by flushing the toilet. I'll be curious to know how it goes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea in the morning if I wake up super early to pee I don't always flush b/c until a few wks ago Maddie's room was just behind the bathroom. She would always wake up when I got up early to pee ruining my chance to fall back to sleep for another hr.

    ReplyDelete

Please email me if your comment won't go through.