Thursday, October 28, 2010

100 Things (A Work in Progress)

My list of 100 ways to save $.25/day (on average):
  1. Stop using so many danged lights. Turn on no light during the day and reduce the number of bulbs in use when we do need lights. $.50/day
  2. Wear clothing for two or three days, unless it's smelly. $.26/day
  3. Insulate upstairs radiators and turn down thermostat. $.50/day
  4. Drop three showers a week. $.30/day (Not sure about this one. If anyone can tell me how to figure this out, let me know.)
  5. Switch kids to cloth diapers. $2.26/day
  6. Air-dry almost all clothing. $.24/day
  7. Turn off kids' fans and use noise machines instead. $.26/day
  8. Homemade dishwasher detergent and rinse agent. $.73/day
  9. Homemade laundry detergent. $.18/day

So far:

9 things
$5.23 per day
$.581 average

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read the rest of your 100 things. I'm just now spending some time on your blog, sorry, I'm late! I'm cheap, though, and I think you and I have similar thoughts on many things, so I am curious what else you will do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have no idea where I'm going to come up with 94 more things! I knew this was a little ambitious when I got the idea, but I didn't think it was THAT ambitious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd suggest make your own wipes, but I buy wipes that cost about $1 a week, so making your own won't save *that* much. I've heard about $140/year.

    Do you buy books/DVDs/clothes used? I'm always stocking up on kids' books (we have hundreds) at yard sales, book sales, and consignment shops.

    Yesterday, my husband went to talk to our landlord about something, and the landlord asked my husband if he loved me. ??? Turns out he saw me washing the dishes (by a double window) wearing a hat because we didn't have the heat on, and he was concerned. Not sure why he assumed it was my husband denying us heat rather than a mutual decision. But we do keep it pretty cold during the winter. We live in New England and haven't turned the heat on yet, although we keep a space heater in the girls' room set at 64 so it doesn't get any colder than that.

    ReplyDelete

Please email me if your comment won't go through.