Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Hair

I'm saving my hair to make pillows.

HAH! Just kidding. There are some things I will never do for the sake of a few dollars. That's one of them.

No, I've noticed since I started showering every day that my hair just doesn't get clean enough when I wash it. It gets all gunky in back, just below the crown of my head. I have three different kinds of shampoo that I use, I use very little conditioner (maybe a pea-sized amount), and I make sure I get shampoo down into my roots all over my head. And still, with all that, there's this spot on the back of my head that is just gross unless I shampoo twice, which kind of defeats the purpose of showering every other day. More time spent in the shower, using hot water and lights, AND extra money spent on shampoo.

So I decided to try something else today. I grabbed a bit of baking soda (maybe a couple of teaspoons) and plonked it on top of my wet hair, then I rubbed it in with my shampoo. And what do you know, my hair came out beautifully clean (but not stripped and dry, like it can when I shampoo twice).

I also used the extra baking soda left on my hands to scrub my face a little bit (I'd already washed it). I don't really need to exfoliate with the oil cleansing method (I know I sound like an infomercial with my OIL CLEANSING METHOD! evangelism, but I am telling you, it's that good) and haven't in ages. But lately my face has been feeling a little papery and oily, all at the same time. Probably the dry winter air.

Wow! What a difference! My skin feels extremely soft today, and it's practically glowing. I don't know exactly what the baking soda did, but my skin looks amazing right now.

Now I just need to figure out a way to keep some baking soda in the shower without getting it all wet and clumpy and gross.

5 comments:

  1. My sister used to have the gunky hair problem, too. I think she did use baking soda, but also tomato sauce works really, really well. In fact, that's what she used, primarily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that same problem with the spot of icky-feeling hair, right where you say you do. It seems to show up almost immediately, too. I started adding baking soda to my shampoo at one point, and it's really just amazing. I don't use it every day, because I don't seem to need it, but I do use some ever week or two. I figure it's like extra cheap clarifying shampoo, or something.

    I like it on my skin, too, especially when it's being dry and flaky. Baking soda seems to be a gentle enough exfoliant that it gets rid of the flakes without making my skin flip out, and then my usual lotion routine is generally able to keep things under control (at least for awhile).

    Seriously, baking soda is like magic.

    I ended up buying one of those shelves you put over the toilet awhile back, and since my toilet is right next to my shower, I have a little basket of shower supplies on it. I keep things like an extra bar of soap (because I always realize I'm out of soap after I'm in the shower), and I have a box of baking soda that I bought specifically for leaving in the bathroom. It seems to do alright near the shower but not in it, and I just try to shake the water off my hand before I pick it up and pour some of it into my hand.

    You might be able to get it to work with something like a spice jar, though. That would probably keep moisture out even better, and you wouldn't have to worry so much about your hands being wet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found that a mix of 1 tablespoon baking soda in a cup of water, followed by a rinse of 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar in a cup of water gets my hair soft, silky, and clean, without using any other products on it. And it's incredibly cheap. And vegan, which was one of my main concerns.;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every now and then my hair starts to feel that way. Esp like now when showering causes my morning sickness to flare up so I avoid showering as often as I'd like. I used to use baby shampoo every now and then (it's actually really harsh despite being easy on eyes) but this idea seems better. The baby shampoo seems to really strip my hair. I may have to try out the baking soda! Now...to find a box of baking soda that hasn't been in my fridge since August...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go to the dollar store and buy the traveler's bottles. The squeezy ones work quite well.

    ReplyDelete

Please email me if your comment won't go through.